See below.

Scott

Office: (763) 425-1001 x 2
Cell: (612) 759-5556

From: David Williams <david.willi...@lhbcorp.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:39 PM
To: Scott Futrell <sco...@ffcdi.com>; sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Attic/Concealed space access to sprinkler heads

Language camp facility. Rural area. Installing a underground water storage tank
with vertical turbine pump. Originally we were to provide partial sprinkling of
just the dining hall not sure if that meant the attic above it or not. The Fire
Marshal and others convinced them to provide complete sprinkler of two
buildings (and more as the campus get built out.) the demand is driven by the
kitchen in the dining hall. (BTW the fire marshal wants us to use one of those
weird MN domestic water pump as a supply for the fire protection system..
Yuck.. no local driller can drill the required 10 inch well and the risk of not
having enough water at the yearly test drove us to the tank)

The dining hall has a convoluted 4500 SF attic with some standard attic that is
accessible, but that has a 6 foot wide flat roof section with skylights running
down the middle.

Of that a 1000 SF area that has been created with scissor trusses and the
skylights and flat area over a dining area.

There is a inaccessible dropped wood ceiling below the attic structure where we
will run the wet system protecting the dining room. The gypsum above this could
be marked for access points.

And yes, cut holes if needed for the inspection.

Writing the spec now, I have been using nitrogen for the last few system
designs, I wasn't sure I should for this one due to cost as there is an
adjoining building with a "normal" dry system for the attic and the 8 foot wide
combustible eaves. Is a small nitrogen generator cost effective?[saf]  Not
really for a small system.  More so for long-term though. Proper pitch, no roll
grooves, no low points, all can extend life without nitrogen.

The problem with the insulation is the almost 48 inch depth required at the
"thick" part of the scissor truss. This architect doesn't want to do it that
way, although our housing group regularly designs flat truss roofs with near 30
inch thick insulation due to past experience with burst/leaking sprinklers.

What about Ron's contention that no access should be provided.[saf]  I can't
agree with NO access.  NFPA 25 requires internal test and they have to be able
observe line adjacent to ITV line. So, in five years they have to find the pipe
and cut the first hole?

I think you have convinced me to at least specify nitrogen and schedule 40 over
the limited access area, with a prohibition on groove joint in those areas.

David T Williams - Lead MEP/FP Engineer

LHB, Inc. | PERFORMANCE DRIVEN DESIGN.