Brian,

I'll be happy to share my perspective for you.

 * Review the definition of miscellaneous storage in the paragraph you
   quoted.  It sounds to me as though you've described a building where
   the storage of 42,000 ft² _*is not*_ "incidental" to other use of
   the building, _*is not*_ less than 4,000 ft² in area, and _*is not*_
   less than 10% of the building area.  It meets only one of the
   criteria as miscellaneous storage - that it doesn't exceed 12' in
   height.
 * So, we're looking at rack storage of class I-IV commodities, to
   12'-0" high. In §16.2.1.2.1 the protection for those commodities,
   stored up to and including 12'-0" "shall be the same as
   miscellaneous storage from Chapter 13."  That does not mean that it
   _*IS*_ miscellaneous storage, simply that it is to be protected per
   the criteria in chapter 13.  This is confirmed in §13.2.1(5) which
   says Table 13.2.1 and Figure 13.2.1 shall apply to "storage of class
   I through IV commodities up to 12' in height _*as directed by*_
   14.2.3.1 and _*16.2.1.2.1*_.
 * Sorry to disagree with your client, however in my read of table
   13.2.1, I see that Class IV commodities stored in "rack storage"
   below 10' can be protected by an OH2 density.  Once the storage
   exceeds 10', but remains less than 12', the density jumps to EH1,
   the ceiling height is limited to 32'.
 * I suggest you take a good long look at 5.6.1.2, in its entirety for
   protection of mixed commodities.

Also, how are you intending to exceed the limit for a system protection storage of 40,000 ft² in 8.2.1, or EH?

hope that gives you some help,

*Ken Wagoner, SET
*Parsley Consulting***
*350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206