From: Ken Wagoner <k...@parsleyconsulting.com>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2022 10:05 AM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>; Taylor Schumacher
<tay...@sfsprinkler.com>
Subject: Re: [Sprinklerforum] WFD In Pump Suction Line

Taylor,

After reading your original post, and several of the responses, particularly
that of Chris Dorn, I'm prompted to share my thoughts.

  *   Is the AHJ looking for supervision of the appropriate suction pressure in
that feed to the fire pump?  I'm sure you understand this - however the AHJ may
not - a 'paddle type' switch is only going to provide notification if the line
is flowing. It won't report any information in a static condition.

  *   If the concern is indeed to supervise the suction pressure at a certain
level in the supply to the fire pump a pressure switch would be better suited
for this purpose.  The switch settings could be established at the required
suction pressure, and any reduction in that pressure would activate the switch,
and transmit the supervisory notice to the fire pump controller or fire alarm
panel, whichever is preferred.

  *   If it is only supervision of actual flow in the line as others have
pointed out there are better choices than a paddle type switch. It's also worth
noting that the pump controller may already have the supervision the AHJ is
suggesting.

Finally, as one other poster has noted - if there is a section of the
applicable code or standard which requires supervision of the suction line to a
fire pump, then I would request direction to the section.  If it's there, then
I'll do what it requires, as I want to follow the 'rules' as closely as
possible.  If it's not there, and it's just the AHJ's preference, then what are
we talking about?

That concept has guided most of my work, which I've boiled down to 'prove it.'
My late father's take on this was, "Put up, or shut up."

sincerely,
Ken Wagoner, SET
Parsley Consulting
500 West Mechanic Street
Harrisonville, Missouri 64701-2235
Phone: (760) 745-6181
Visit the
website<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.parsleyconsulting.com%2f&c=E,1,Y5zKJKPEh1mBEBqSR-VE9cUKl5y-eyP8BpvmE_5j9ZqW2eJbNphYzrCMBZ-2YuX6d-RRkHI4gQ1FV-cvOeCfRC58uZS9NiToZv2mx7909oCqLvCW_n5hDHeK&typo=1>