The first one certainly doesn't. The second looks like a repeat of the
thread, and has a title that says, "Dividing Up My Bookmarks". Is there
some offshoot I'm missing?

In the first link, Peter has referenced you to his first post in this thread where he said to break up you Bookmarks file into several Bookmark files and then, as you need a different list, open the different file from with-in the Bookmarks Manager.

In the second reference, Peter has referred you to this thread, via Google Groups, just in case the posts have expired from your News Reader View.

Seems, to me, Peter is just being his usual helpful self!

Thanks for the clarification.