On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Bret Busby <b...@busby.net> wrote:
> Hello.
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04, which is the latest LTS version of Ubuntu.
> The latest version of SeaMonkey, that is available for this version of
> Ubuntu, from the Ubuntu repository, is SeaMonkey 1.1.17
> My experience of this version of SeaMonkey, is that it consistently crashes.
> If I leave one or more browser windows open, and lock the computer screen,
> and walk away, and come back later, SeaMonkey can be relied on to have
> crashed.
> From what I understand, with MS Windows 95, that operating system would run
> for 29 days (I think it was), and then it was supposed to crash.
> SeaMonkey cannot run for anywhere near that length of time. Sometimes, maybe
> a few hours, sometimes, maybe a day or two, sometimes, if lucky, a few days.
> But, not much longer than that, very often.
> With gxine, I found two web sites (one being the 2009 World Masters Games
> web site), that would cause a system crash, every time the web site was
> visited. The other web site is a loony political party web site, that I
> found.
> SeaMonkey would open many pop-ups, that I cannot prevent, and then the
> system would crash. One of the pop-ups that was opened, that I saw, just
> before bthe syetm crashed, was gxine.
> I removed gxine from the system, and that got rid of the system crash
> problem, from those two web sites.
> But, SeaMonkey is still completely unstable, on this computer running Ubuntu
> 8.04.
> Does anyone else have this problem?

I don't use Ubuntu but I do use Seamonkey on Linux for hours a day and
the crashes I've experienced are almost always caused by plug-ins. In
my case, I use 64-bit seamonkey and the crashes were almost always
caused by the 32-bit Adobe Flash plug-in, which I was using via
nspluginwrapper. Once the native 64-bit Flash plugin came out that
basically eliminated the crashes. (I've also have Java-related
crashes). If you have gxine opening then it sounds like perhaps
embedded media or plug-in related. I use the gecko-mediaplayer plugin
(as opposed to mplayerplug-in or calling external helper apps) and it
seems to work alright; at least it doesn't crash for me. (I don't use
nspluginwrapper at all now, it's not even installed)

Other causes for crashes I've experienced have been some versions of
KDE4 (where all gtk+ apps crased randomly, perhaps related to my
installed gtk-engines/themes or something)

In general, though, normal everyday use for me is fine and it does not crash.

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit? Have you tried uninstalling plugins etc?