On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Martin Freitag wrote:

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:36:50 +0200
From: Martin Freitag <prof_nosp...@quantentunnel.de>
To: support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org
Newsgroups: mozilla.support.seamonkey
Subject: Re: SeaMonkey 1.1.17 instability

Bret Busby schrieb:

From what I understand, auto-refreshing is an HTML or javascript
functionality, which is interpreted by the browser, rather than being
funtionality of the browser. Thus, it is the code on the particular
web pages, rather than something from within SeaMonkey, that causes
the auto-refreshing.

In reading the weather observations web page agin, after posting the
message above, I found that the observations are updated every ten
minutes, and the web page reloads every five minutes. Nothing
significantly different to what I said above, I think, but it needed
correcting.

Apart from using the Classic theme, and Adobe Reader, which does not
apply to the particular web pages, I believe that I have no extensions
of plugins installed on this installation of SeaMonkey.

Is there a simple way of finding what, if any, extensions and/or
plugins are insstalled and linke to a SeaMonkey installation?

type about:plugins in the address-bar.

'Installed plug-ins
Find more information about browser plug-ins at mozilla.org.
Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.
Adobe Reader 9.1

    File name: nppdf.so
The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF files from within the browser.

MIME Type       Description     Suffixes        Enabled
application/pdf         Portable Document Format        pdf     Yes
application/vnd.fdf     Acrobat Forms Data Format       fdf     Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf XML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Format xfdf Yes application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml Acrobat XML Data Package xdp Yes application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml Adobe FormFlow99 Data File xfd Yes'

The news web page that refreshes when it wants to, is written in
javascript, so I can't find the auto-refresh command.

Aaaah, thought you had the tabbrowser extensions or similar and
refrshing the tab(s).
Feel free to use the NoScript extension
or the prefbar and uncheck the Javscript checkbox of it.

Used Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts & Plug-ins
and unchecked
"Allow scripts to"
Change images
and
Disable or repace context menus
which were the only items checked to allow scripts to do things.

I then unchecked
"Enable Javascript for"
Navigator
then Quit, then reloaded.

I found that the previous step was superfluous, as, whenI diabled javascript for navigator, the options are "grayed out".

The weather observation web page that refreshes every five minutes, has
the auto-refresh command included in the header HTML code;
"<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="300">" ;
nice and simple, and easy to find.

If SeaMonkey had a way of overruling auto-refreshing, by using a switch,
the same way that some web browsers manage to overrule and stop pop-ups,
it would be quite convenient, and, reduce bandwidth wastage

None that I know of, maybe someone else has another hint for that one.

I never had any problems with meta refresh, I still wonder why SM should
crash from it, SM1 without exension is usually rock-stable.
regards

Martin
--

I did not mean to suggest that the auto-refreshing caused the frequent crashing.

But, the web pages that have the auto-refreshing, are left open, when the crashes occur.

I will see what happens now.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale