On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:53:10 -0400, Phillip Jones
<pjon...@kimbanet.com> wrote:

>Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> JohnW-Mpls schrieb:
>>> I am now back
>>> to 1.19
>>
>> If you like having unpatched security vulnerabilities on your computer,
>> have fun with it!
>>
>>> Are there any 2.x plans to fix the ID/Password processing?
>>
>> You didn't tell us what the specific bugs are. If the specific problems
>> are filed as bug reports in bugzilla.mozilla.org, chances are that
>> someone might look at them. Without that, nobody sees that there could
>> be any problems.
>> And remember, any report need to be specific and to the point to what
>> the actual problem in an actual case is. "It's broken" is not helpful as
>> it doesn't tell us what doesn't work and a developer needs to be able
>> reproduce the problem on his setup to work on fixing it.
>>
>> Robert Kaiser
>
>That the fellow is mad about is in SM1.X when you saved user Name and
>Password for say Bank (but others) the username and password would
>automatically  pop up in the form fields (the password would be shown as
>a series of ••••••'s)
>
>Because The Banking and Insurance and Securities Industries, held a club
>over Mozilla's heads. That no longer happens. You actually have to type
>in your username before it will fill in. So you have to memorize every
>Username you use.
>
>That's quite a feat to have to do, especially folks like me that have
>trouble with spelling.
>
>So there will be a lot of folks that will go back to SM1 and FF3.0 just
>for that.

You got it. Phillip - it's not a bug but a design change/flaw.  I went
to 2.x for better security but the design of ID/Password handling went
overboard.

I have a few hundred bookmarks and a few dozen with ID/Password
protection.  The Wall St Journal is a nice example, one of the
publications I go to daily.

When I go to the WSJ site with 1.x, their site comes up with a "Hello,
John" greeting - they already know me as a customer.  With 2.x. the
WSJ comes up but I am restricted till I click to login and then I need
to right-click for 5-15 seconds for 2.x to finally respond with my
ID/Password, or I need to enter in the first character of the ID I use
for that vendor.

I use a number of ID/Passwords for different purposes, for different
clients, etc.  Remembering which one for which site is not practical
for a human - that's what I have a computer for, and the 1.x and even
old Netscape does it well - user friendly.

--
 JohnW-Mpls