For years I have never stored anything in the password manager other than the passwords for my email accounts. All other information, like banks, I enter every time I go to the site. I have always believed this to be the safest approach, though a bit less convenient.

My understanding is that the use of the master password causes all of your passwords to be encrypted and are only un-encrypted when the master password has been entered. Then the plain text passwords exist in memory, where they are difficult to get at. Did I miss understand this? Some of what I have read in this thread seemed to imply that use of the MP is a security risk.

If banks really wanted better security for their users there are lots of better ways to manage user login. Since these have never been implemented, I am guessing they are most concerned on limiting their workload on their end and preserving their ability to harvest marking material from your computer.

LMH

Tom Pamin wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
JohnW-Mpls schrieb:
When I go to the WSJ site with 1.x, their site comes up with a "Hello,
John" greeting - they already know me as a customer.  With 2.x. the
WSJ comes up but I am restricted till I click to login and then I need
to right-click for 5-15 seconds for 2.x to finally respond with my
ID/Password, or I need to enter in the first character of the ID I use
for that vendor.

Now, wait, you're talking here about something else than some other assumed, I think. It sounds to me that 2.c actually remembers your login in the password manager, that's why it fills it in once the page has loaded.

The difference you are seeing there is that you're not logged in right from the start - without even needing the password manager to fill in your username and password in those fields (as in both 1.x and 2.x the password manager doesn't do more than remembering those and enter them when you encounter username/password fields).

This makes me think that there's some difference in Cookie handling, as probably that website remembers your credentials via some Cookie(s) stored in the browser.

Robert Kaiser

Add me to the list of users sticking with 1.19. Forms Manager and passwords work just fine for me. Why go to 2.04 when it's a step backwards? If security is the only reason, I'll take my chances.