Thank you Michael.  I think you are right.

Next time my SIL comes over I will get him to look at all the info. and see if he can do anything about it. Lesson learned is not to rely on email programs to store information I want to keep.

Thanks too the other chaps who offered advice.

Phillipa

p.s. -Is there anything I can do to get rid of the constant pop-up asking to 'compact now' other than letting it do it automatically without asking me (Thunderbird does the same thing)?