jean-pierre bessette wrote:
Back in August when the program started constantly asking me if I wanted
to 'COMPACT NOW?',  I  finally clicked OK to whatever the message was in
the hope that it would stop asking me the question.

Instead it seemed to compact almost constantly, causing a 'fluttering'
of the script on my emails and making them almost unreadable.  So I
looked for a way to reverse what I had done and made a bit mistake.  As
I searched through the '\help' options I came across one that offered "
Restart with add-ons disabled"

When I clicked on yes, the program reverted to a new installation, and I
lost all emails, including all those that I had saved for the previous 6
months since I had bought this computer.  Unfortunately I could not find
a way to reverse what I had just done.
I have just switched over to Thunderbird, and all the current email
lists have imported completely.

Does anyone have any idea how I might retrieve those lost emails in Sea
Monkey - personal ones with photos are the ones I would like to retrieve
- or are they gone completely?

jp

Hi,

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but you should start doing periodic backups, e.g. to an external hard drive. Make certain that you have software that does a COMPLETE backup, including your registry, e.g. "BounceBack". You can back up daily, weekly, or monthly, depending upon your needs. I would also suggest that you burn your desired photographs to good quality CD-Rs, such as T.Y. from Japan. In addition, consider keeping a set of backed up data in another building, because fires and floods do occur.

Good luck, and Happy New Year.

Mort Linder