Phillipa here - the guilty party in this problem

What I had done was to go through all the menus looking for options to get rid of the annoying "compact" or "compact now" , and finally at 'Help' saw >>'Restart with add-ons disabled'.

This was the one I clicked on and lost everything, including the local folders I had created, except the address book. The program looked exactly as it looked when first downloaded and opened - as you say, new blank profile.

As it was a few months ago I probably had to redo the email settings for my service provider (at least I had those written down).

I just tried looking for alternative profiles, but the only shown is 'default'.

>>in your SeaMonkey, next have a look at what settings you have at View->Messages->All and View->Threads->All. Does this show your missing e-mail??

Unfortunately both those options in the 'view' menu are blanked out (I should say that this computer has XP. I bought it - after working in Parallels on Jean-Pierre's Mac - for using an older program which only works on Windows 32 bit ) .

I have also checked through both the Inbox and all the local folders I have created, and there are no extra or hidden sub-folders (there were some on the lost version which did not seem to disappear completely when I deliberately deleted a local folder)

phillipa - a not so tech-savvy user