On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:52 pm, murdoch wrote:
> As I mentioned last month, I am in favor of looking into greater
> computer control of vehicles, or, more accurately, gradually increased
> automated vehicle driving and warning systems, integrated with driver
> command, to reduce traffic deaths.  I believe such a trend has been
> implemented, over the decades, in modern jumbo jets and has saved
> lives.  It has not proven to be a cure-all and premature turning of
> jet control over to full computer control has proven, on at least one
> occassion, to be fatal.  But I think if something can be done to
> reduce the dangers of driving then it ought be looked-into.  IMO.
>
> http://www.napanews.com/templates/index.cfm?template=story_full&id=DE0D502D
>-4FB5-4B39-B52E-ECA47FC0CF9B

this is astounding... I knew it was bad in the US but not that bad...

in Oz we have around 700 deaths per year over 18 million.  the US has 48,000
out of 200 million, or about 6 times the death rate (and I guess the injuries
rate is similarly higher.)

the main differences between the two?

compulsory seatbelts, random breathtesting, standard national laws (0.05%
blood alcohol), 0% blood alcohol for the first 2 years of driving (2 years
probation, driving age is 18).

loose a little freedom (not for security, but civic duty), gain a whole lotta
saved lives....

the guy instrumental in getting random breathtesting in australia died
recently... His Obit suggested he is responsible for saving 30,000 lives over
the last 3 decades... Our death rate is lower than in the 1950's...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM