It sounds like a fantastic trip.  I've done some shorter ones like
that, say from Kansas City to Chicago, or Chicago to Washington DC.
Never regretted it.  I agree that the food left something to be
desired, but on the whole I have really enjoyed the few liesurely
trips I've taken.  This makes it all the more a pity that Americans
don't seem to have access to the type of ticket that you seem to have
bought.  Given that lengthy summer car trips are so common here as to
drive up the price of gas, I wonder if we couldn't take a few of them
by train, strengthening Amtrak's position, lessening the dependence on
gasoline (a little, though diesel is required for the trains) and
letting folks relax and see the country vs. driving.

One thing that comes up once in awhile is the annual toll at train
crossings, and although it's a known issue, it does never seem to get
solved fully.  What always bothers me when I run across one personally
is that they don't seem designed to perfectly prevent accidents.  I
run across several urban crossings and almost all of them seem to
allow for a driver to accidentally be left stopped somewhere in or
near the middle of the crossing.  Then I have to read these lectures
from train industry people about how drivers aren't paying sufficient
attention to the dangers of train crossings.  But while doubtless many
drivers are not sufficiently respecting the dangers (choosing to go
around barriers, etc.) I also think they need some better design, to
prevent well-intended drivers from accidentally finding themselves in
a bad situation.

>       I didn't. Flew into LAX, caught the train in San Francisco to
>Denver, Denver to El Paso, El Paso to New Orleans, New Orleans to
>Chicago, Chicago to Los Angeles, flew back to Australia, all in one
>week. Great way to see the country although the seats and food
>leave a bit to be desired ;)
>
>       Andrew

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM