>> To hop in a car and drive for eight hours to visit someone would
>> be unheard of in most other countries, but is fairly common in the USA.
>
>There are a number of reasons for this.  The first is the absence of any
>real intercity mass transit except for airlines.  Our long distance
>passenger rail system, except for a very few areas, was very effectively
>killed off in the last half of the 20th century.

One thing I've noticed, that I've never heard comment upon from a
single other person, is that it seems Amtrak does offer a Eurail-style
pass (i.e., pay a fee, go pretty much anywhere you want for a month or
two), but *only to foreigners*.  Given the gas and money spent on
driving over summer and other vacations by Americans, this has always
seemed wrong to me.  Amtrak does have other more limited passes, but
confining the big one to non-Americans just seems bizarre.  I must be
missing something.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM