This isn't the same issue.  I was trying to raise the issue of a
Eurail-style go-anywhere pass, suitable for a wanderlust-style
vacation valued by so many in using their cars (not just a
point-to-point monthly pass), and the fact that it is for sale by
Amtrak, but only to non-Americans.  I see zero reason for this
restriction, and I have always seen it as an example of throwing money
away.  Amtrak provides a great service, and it's a pity when they
don't design it so that more can take advantage of it and enjoyably.

They do offer some passes which are half of what I am saying.  For
example they seem to offer a very attractively-priced pass (under
$200?) for 21 days of travel to most spots in California (7 days of
actual travel maximum I think).  I don't know how the bus figures into
this (they commonly use bus routes to supplement where trains don't
go)

But the go-anywhere thing, so prominent in my plans on one or two
trips to Europe in my youth, is apparently something that we Americans
are good enough to fund (such as through our subsidies to Amtrak) but
not good enough to buy or use.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM