Yes, Maud, but do you really, really seriously, require a design and
specifications for a washing tank???

 From your previous:

>it needs an associated washing system. Could Mark's
>posting of Sean Davis' stand-pipe system be an appropriate companion
>for the $150 Fumeless?
>
>http://www.veggieavenger.com/avengerboard/viewtopic.php?t=332&view=pr
>evious&sid=a09397e0e325291fa2943e830a4151a0
>
>Or should it be even simpler?

The main point about the stand-pipe tank is the stand-pipe, which can
be comprehended at a glance. Neat and useful, but hardly obligatory
(we use such a standpipe in the WVO tank to separate the crud, though
actually we don't get any crud these days, good sources). Why would
anyone need plans for a wash-tank? Good resources on technique, sure,
why's and wherefore's, do's and don't's, that's all readily to hand,
but a tank? Anything will do. Our first wash-tank was a plastic
garbage bin. We softened a bit of the bottom near the edge with a
lighter, cut a hole in it with a cutting knife, melted the edges a
bit more and set a valve into the hole then let the plastic cool and
set round the valve, secured it with epoxy putty, covered the putty
with silicon, then wired the bin firmly on top of a defunct
steel-pipe four-legged stool with the seat missing, just high enough
to get a 20-litre pail under the valve, bent two of the legs slightly
so it inclines forward towards the drain, and taped an aquarium pump
to the lid. It worked perfectly well. We're still using it as a
glyc-settling tank.

>For neophytes you would have to specify how to integrate the
>two...some kind of plumbing and pump to move the fuel from one to the
>other.

Or just drain and fill with 20-litre oil cans until you figure out
something better. Four bucketsful once a month, in your case?

>Now, to provide a complete solution that can compete with the
>Fuelmeister,

I think the Fuelmeister is an object of derision, not any sort of
standard which has to be bettered. Any and all processors at our site
do that in every way but one - they're not ready-mades.

You can, if you like, pay US$150,000-450,000 for a more sophisticated
piece of junk than the Fuelmeister that has just that kind of
approach in mind - like a washing-machine, just pour some stuff in
the top, flip some switches and go shopping while it does everything
for you, very convenient. These are the "processors" you find here in
Japan. Well, they're what's sold here by a few companies, you'd have
to look quite hard to actually find one, and even harder to find one
that's actually being used. Couple of problems with them though...
One is that they make sub-spec fuel - I have some of it here, murky
stuff that'll never settle clear, poor conversion, very inadequately
washed, and they only make 100 litres a day max. (20 gallons), and
that only from virgin oil or the very best quality WVO, maybe the top
5% of the WVO stream. This is another:

>list, and sources). And we must also find ways to make processing
>biodiesel as simple and mindless as it is to do a load of laundry.
>Only then will more of the very people who squander the majority of
>the world's natural resources (yes, my compatriots) will feel able
>and willing to process their own biodiesel and use it as their
>primary fuel.

Up to now biodiesel has been exactly nowhere in Japan. Only now is it
slowly starting to emerge from the dark, and that's in spite of these
processor companies, not because of them - it's apparently partly or
largely because of us, the JtF approach to it, NOT the "laundry"
approach. Mainly because of our Japanese website (lots of visitors!),
the Japanese Biofuel mailing list, and the seminars we run every
month (which bring people from all over Japan). Now people are making
their own biodiesel, and the main message they're getting is that
it's the process that matters, NOT the processor, and the process is
free. That we can and do make high-quality fuel with processors that
cost exactly nothing, and that we're NOT technicians of any kind, is
exactly what seems to count most in encouraging people to try it
themselves.

This is the essential step - it has to do with empowerment (some say
the revelation that you can make your own fuel is at least as
important as making it), not just consumerism. IMO this is the only
way that a critical threshold-level of awareness and demand can be
created for the quite profound changes required to have a chance of
taking place - and that's NOT just replacing fossil-fuel use with
biofuel use. With those changes, sustainable biofuels use -
sustainable energy use generally - becomes generally available at the
consumer level. It's happening, rather fast I think.

Another previous message of yours:

>That's just the problem...it's not that there's not enough
>information, it's that there's too much!

Too much information? What could that mean? There ain't no
one-size-fits-all, people's circumstances and needs differ. Now if
the information available covers a range of choices (it does), is
reliable (it is), and isn't contradictory (it isn't), then "too much
information" can only mean you're looking for a different *kind* of
information.

>That's why a solution would be so nice...one well-designed choice
>that's proven and predictable. After building confidence through
>experience, scaling up or developing a more customized or complex
>processor will undoubtedly seem like a piece o' cake.

Or a loaf of bread or a dish of tofu. (Yes, I also make those things
from scratch, which has included growing the wheat and the soybeans,
also from scratch, and nobody had to teach me farming either, nor
cooking.) Maud, there's a whole world between the two extremes of
having to be a rocket scientist and just flipping a switch, "simple
and mindless", and that's where biodiesel is at now. You could buy it
from a Big Soy producer or you could buy a Fuelmeister, but it seems
neither will guarantee you good fuel, and neither will change
anything. And if you don't want to change anything, then why use
biodiesel? Changing things is never easy. Yet making biodiesel IS
easy. So is making a processor.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511