>The change from "Global warming" to climate change isn't because of some
>double think,

It is, actually. But I didn't say "double think", I said "euphemism",
quite different.

>but because it more accurately describes the event(s).  It
>is also a lot scarier then the Earth warming a few degrees.

"The Earth warming a few degrees" does not describe the Greenhouse Effect.

>I wouldn't blow off the movie so quickly.  The movie does have it share
>of flaws mainly because science doesn't have any good ways to explain
>how cold weather animals are quickly frozen, so they invented cyclones
>sucking super cold air down from aloft despite the fact that cyclones
>suck surface air in and push it up.

I haven't seen it and I doubt I'll bother, but don't blame the
"science" for a bad movie. This is about typical:

>David Edelstein (The Ice Age Cometh) for Slate:
>
>"The Day After Tomorrow has one of the most absurd and implausible
>plot turns I've seen in a movie, ever. Global warming melts the
>polar ice caps, which makes the oceans rise and disrupts the Gulf
>Stream. There are lethal hailstones in Tokyo and ravaging tornadoes
>in L.A.; and after New York City is flooded by seawater, the
>temperature plunges at a rate of 10 degrees per second, so that
>people are transformed into ice statues where they stand. Tens of
>millions are dead and the upper United States has become
>uninhabitable. Now here's the implausible part. The vice president
>-- closely modeled on Dick Cheney -- who has pooh-poohed all
>evidence of global warming, goes on TV and says, 'I was wrong.'"
>
>I won't destroy a second of suspense if I tell you that the Northern
>Hemisphere is turned into a snowball within a few cataclysmic
>Hollywood days, and an ice chunk by movie's end -- but couldn't
>Emmerich have left the ice-cubed Statue of Liberty to Planet of the
>Apes where it should remain forever a symbol of a previous notion of
>man-made Armageddon? (Oh, and speaking of Lady Liberty, in a pure
>Gulf-Stream-of-consciousness aside, let me quote a Tomdispatch
>reader from Quebec: "I couldn't help but be knocked over by the
>irony of Bush's promised bigger and better, state-of-the-art prison
>to be built in Iraq. How is the average Iraqi expected to react to
>this news? The French gave America the Statue of Liberty to
>celebrate America's freedom. And America is giving Iraq a new jail
>to celebrate its liberation?")
>
>The Day After Tomorrow is one of those lame movies where, when zoo
>keepers, knee deep in water, notice that the wolves are missing from
>their cages, you don't doubt for a second they'll later appear to
>menace our young heroes. (Given the film's subject, the villains had
>to have fur coats.) As it turns out, this latest cinematic
>Armageddon ends on a bizarrely happy, not to say triumphant note.
>Perhaps the alien currents were driven back to outer space and I
>didn't even notice.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2101386/

Trivial.

>If anything we will have lows moving
>very cold polar air masses south, which would have close to the same
>effect except on a larger scale.

Too soon to tell.

>The "Greenhouse effect", "global warming" and ice age is all related.
>Our production of the greenhouse gases "MAY" have speeded up a natural
>process but it didn't cause it.

The "Greenhouse effect" is not a natural process, or at least it's
never happened before, or not on Planet Earth anyway, or not during
the period that Planet Earth has been graced with a biosphere. It
seems you don't know what it is. Try Venus.

If our industrial-age and fossil-fuel carbon releases have triggered,
or helped to trigger, along with other factors, a runaway Greenhouse
effect, then we certainly would have caused it.

If instead it flips into an Ice Age, that is a natural process
indeed, but causing it to arrive a few hundred years early would
amount to something more than just an "Ooops!"

A few degrees of global warming that then levels off will be quite
disruptive and destructive enough.

As it is, a new Ice Age is still not seen as the most likely scenario.

>The bottom line is that it doesn't
>matter.

Uh-huh. So, what? - so go on burning up fossil fuel resources,
releasing CO2 and so on and generally living like there's no tomorrow?

>The chain reaction has already started and nothing that we do
>at this point will stop or even slow down the climate change.

:-) A few months ago, and indeed still, so many people in the US were
pooh-poohing it all and claiming there wasn't any science, but now
it's all cut and dried, eh? Sorry, but that is a preposterous
statement. It reminds me of this:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner of US Patent Office, 1899

>Discussing the cause is really a waste of time.

Without discussion, study and investigation of all types of the cause
and all other factors involved, and how they might affect one
another, no doubt your claim above that there's nothing to be done
would come true. Fortunately, most humans are less passive and
stoical than that.

I don't think you checked any of those refs, did you? Or not to much
avail anyway.

Best

Keith