Actually 500 feet may make it worthwhile. Towers are damn expensive and
maintenance is difficult too. Towers are built though because they pencil.
Eliminating them would be a good thing if it can be done reliably.

Kirk

Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I first thought that this was an Aprils Fool, trying to work out what the
weight of the cable needed to carry the electricity back to earth and having to
reach around 12 miles high, the wind drag factor on it etc etc... tell me it
isn't??

Shades of Orson Well's - War of the Worlds ..

If it could be made to work then wonderfull, I have heard somewhere that the
tropospheric winds run at hundreds of miles and hour, so even if you only had a
45o Angle to cope with then the device could possibly be some miles out of it's
intened no-fly zone, and what about cables from adjacent units tangling (have
you EVER seen 12 guys in a fishing cobble on the NorthSea trying NOT to tangle
their rod lines??)

Best Wishes

Rob