Frank,

Sweden have a higher living standard than US, according to statistics. I am not suggesting that it is a direct relationship between happiness and living standard, as it is between happiness and dumbness. Why I say this, is because the first I will hear when I say this, is something about living standard and the Swedish suicide rate. The latter is very exact in Sweden, contrary to catholic countries, where it is a sin to commit suicide. The high suicide rate is well compensated by the lower accident rate among Swedes and longer life expectancy. LOL

Had to say the above sooner or later, since it will be brought up, when something is said about the Swedish living standard.

Then to the base arguments. The Swedes use 1/3 and 1/4 of energy in housing, compared to US and Canada, after climate compensation. Sweden also have the same size relationships, when it comes to some countries in central and southern Europe.

The Swedes and Europeans in general, uses around 50% of the fuel in transportation per distance, compared to US and Canada. This without a general use of hybrids or hydrogen -:), but with 30 to 50% of diesel vehicles, compared with US with a couple of percent. Despite the higher use of diesel vehicles, the pollution levels per distance is lower in Europe than US.

It is no necessary relationship between living standard and energy use, but it is a clear relationship between dirtiness and energy efficiency. It is amazing that we need a Kyoto agreement to be clean, neat and efficient, but it is even more amazing that someone do not want to subscribe to it.

Hakan