Joe,

Only a couple of complementary things,

The Elk an Moose also like clear cut, but they are very bad for
forest management. They eat the top of the newly planted trees.

Clear cuts are also bad, since it often result in that the top soil
is washed down the streams and over fertilize them. this in its
turn results in greater vulnerability to the acid rains from industrial
areas, that kills our lakes. The only reason for clear cut, is the
adoption to modern machinery.

Proper forest management was developed in Southern Germany
around 200 years ago and was implemented in Sweden 150 years
ago. It has proven its viability, but clear cut was not a part of the
those methods.

Why we get a large amount of bushes etc. in clear cuts, is not
because of more sunlight, it is because a lack of pines to control
the vegetation. The pine tree is releasing chemicals from the needles
it drops, that limit the under vegetation and give the pines the
space  and nutrition to grow. It is their way of fighting the competition
and only allow species that are good for them.

Fires have always been a natural part of the forest cycle, to keep
the ground relatively clean and add nutrients. This is also done in
good forest management, which starts to be a thing of the past and
had to give way for the use of large machines.

All of this and much more, are to be found in the biofuel archives
from earlier extensive discussions. No need to repeat it in full.

Harvesting properly managed forests for building material, has been
proven viable for more than 150 years. We are also "killing" plants
for food like bread etc. and the way the subject provoke is misleading
and ignorant. We even "kill" animals to eat, but the real abuse is not
that we kill them, it is often worse with the way we let them live.

Hakan