> All that having been said, Pimental is right that soy
> and corn alone cannot replace our petroleum addiction

Essentially, soybeans are not grown for their oil value. They're grown for the feed value, whether human destined or livestock. The oil is more a co-product, almost waste product in some respect. If oilseeds are to be grown for liquid fuel replacement, the focus must be on higher yielding crops, with a mix of others such as soy to meet the feed meal demands of populations.

Were it not for the excessive demand for feed meal placed by the livestock industry, soy would not be the oilseed of predomenance. Reduce the meat centered diet to one that treats meat as a delicacy rather than a mainstay and vast acreages could be diverted to liquid fuel production and cellulosic ethanol production rather than feed meal.

Todd Swearingen

John Hayes wrote:

Thanks to a post at TDIclub, I discovered that Pimentel has released yet another report on ethanol. Looking at the dates below, he's a month ahead of schedule this year.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/July05/ethanol.toocostly.ssl.html

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/03/8.14.03/Pimentel-ethanol.html

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/01/8.23.01/Pimentel-ethanol.html

I can't speak to this newest report, but as long time readers of this list already know, Pimental's work has been repeatedly critiqued, and one of the main compliants it that he uses out of date numbers for yield and conversion efficiency. Here's a few links:

http://www.mda.state.mn.us/ethanol/balance.html

http://www.usda.gov/oce/oepnu/aer-814.pdf

http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_rooster.html

http://www.ncga.com/public_policy/PDF/03_28_05ArgonneNatlLabEthanolStudy.pdf

http://www.ethanol-gec.org/corn_eth.htm

All that having been said, Pimental is right that soy and corn alone cannot replace our petroleum addiction

jh