"Lee K. Seitz" wrote:

> Jim Leonard boldly stated:
> >
> >..unless those archives go away.  I have mirrored as much as Asimov as
> >I can, but it won't be around forever...
>
> Now that's a scary thought.  Life without Asimov, etc.

Exactly my point.  Think of it this way:  Everyone uploaded their stuff to
Asimov, an archive almost a decade old with (sometimes rare) contributions from
all over the world.  People uploaded their stuff 1. while they still could
(while the disks were still readable) and 2. to help the cause.  I would
venture a strong guess that many of these people then gave up their
collections, having done their part.  Now guess what happens when Asimov goes
away and no real mirrors exist?  All those games are now PERMANENTLY gone as 1.
the disks HAVE gone bad by now, and 2. the owners got rid of them after
donating to the public.

This is extreme, but in the realm of possibility.  It's a very real threat,
however, for less-popular/prolific platforms like BBC, TI 99/4A, Commodore
Adam, etc.
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.