Feldhamer, Stuart wrote:
"The value of a 5.25 set
is considerably less than 3.5s."

..to HIM, because he only wanted to play the game. Not to collectors. Read on:

What is
the opinion of the people on this list regarding a game that came in two
versions: one on 5.25 inch disks and one on 3.5 inch disks? Are the 3.5 inch
disks more valuable?

Given *equal distributions of both*, there is NO difference in terms of collectability. If 50,000 units of 3.5" packages and 50,000 units of 5.25" packages were made during a production run, neither is worth "more".

Now, this isn't to say that some 3.5" versions and/or some 5.25" versions (or even CDROM versions) of games aren't rarer than other versions. There are definitely some cases where certain factors, like customer demand, manufacturing issues, etc. produced much more of a certain version than another, and you could make an argument that such cases produce a package that is more rare than the other. For example:

- The CDROM version of Return to Zork was produced in greater numbers than the floppy-disk version, so theoretically the diskette version is worth more.

- Although I can't remember specifically which Sierra game it was, one of the 5.25" floppy-disk versions of one of Sierra's later SCI games (I *think* it was King's Quest V but it might have been LSL3) had the most bizarre distinction of having mixed 5.25" media -- both low density and high density media were in the package. Meaning, the start/install disk was low density (360K) and the data disks were high density (1.2MB). Again, my memory is failing me, but this package is in my collection and I'll try to find it to verify (does anyone remember?). Such an odd distribution is worth more than the plain 3.5" distro.

- Some "Tandy" versions of software were slightly altered and distributed by Tandy for their mid-to-late Tandy machines (RX/SX and TL/RL/SL series) which only had 3.5" drives standard. These releases are the only 3.5" releases and should be considered worth a bit more. Arctic Fox is one such example: Not only is it the only 3.5" release of the game, but it is also notable in that it supports an additional 16-color Tandy mode not present in the regular EA folder release (Tandy release is also an EA folder but with a Tandy 1000 sticker on it).

I'm sure others on the list can come up with some additional examples. But, to answer your question in a generic sense: No, there is no major difference between 3.5" and 5.25" as to what is "worth" more.
--
Jim Leonard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
World's largest electronic gaming project: http://www.MobyGames.com/