On Jan 20, 2004, at 11:19 PM, Lee K. Seitz wrote: [Snip]
I have yet to make serious use of my CD-R drive, sad to say.  (However,
I actually went through all my unlabeled 3.5" disks the other day and
made some quick notes on most of them as to what they had on them.
Now I just gotta doe the 5.25" ones.  So I that might change soon.)
Which CD-Rs are high quality and which are best avoided?  And does it
really matter that much?

I used to buy Kodak's Gold Ultima ;-) CD-Rs. They had the best life span of any of the then existing CD-Rs. I seem to remember they were actual archival quality. These days I just buy a name brand (right now I'm using Fujifilm CD-Rs and DVD-Rs with good luck). You might also check out want media brands your CD-R drive recommends, if any. I use Plextor for my drives and they have lists of recommend and compatible media that have been factory tested. In some cases they've updated the drive firmware to handle that particular brand.

No name generics have spotty quality. I've seen some fail in less than a year. That said, even CD-Rs won't last as long as the factory press CD-ROMs games come on these days. Multiple duplicate backups and periodic testing of the backup is still a good idea. It's just incredible handy to stuff gobs of 5.25 or 3.5 inch backups on a CD-R or DVD-R.

--

Edward Franks