On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:37:21PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> For big buildings/POIs mapped as areas, I would expect the routing engine
> to bring me to the main entrance, or if not available, any entrance. I also

It doesnt. It generates a centroid of the area, searches for the nearest
road for that POINT. Routing is always to a POINT so you need to map
an area to a point. How do you achieve that?

> have seen similar problems, for example with the biggest airport in Rome:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=fco
> Routing starts about 8 kilometers off the entrance and terminal buildings:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_car&route=41.8144%2C12.2269%3B41.9010%2C12.5014#map=12/41.8377/12.3629
>
> Route to the actual entrance:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_car&route=41.8144%2C12.2269%3B41.7949%2C12.2522
>
> I agree it will require more complicated heuristics to solve problems of
> this kind (e.g. a router could know, like a human does, that in an airport
> you want to arrive at the terminal, and not in front of a security fence at
> the closest point to some arbitrary "centre point"). IMHO the solution to
> the problem is not adding an address as a point (if it applies to a big
> area), but rather giving additional information (because where exactly you
> want to arrive may also depend on where inside the feature you want to go,
> so there won't be a single answer many of the times).

Heuristics will solve 90% for you - Normal buildings and a single
street.  This is what we have. How do you solve the rest of the 10%?
This is what i was talking about. Huge areas, Multiple Entrances,
Multiple Parking lots with different refs etc. You'd like to say -
"I'd like to go to Mall A" and the Nav Software asks "Parking West or
Parking North". How do you link that information?

How do you link the reception of a campsite to the area of the campsite?

I had the situation that i navigated to the campsite. I could see it -
just 30m in front of me. But a river inbetween. It was a 10km bicycle
ride to the next bridge. And from the algorithmic part everything
was correct in that case - Still broken for the user experience.

The cause was that all roads on the campsite were access=private so they
fell of the routing graph. So the nearest road to the area of the
campsite was the road on the other side of the river.

You need additional hinting to solve this. A machine cant do that for
you.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de