On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 19:59, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I understand you are mostly interested in visual aspects, but OSM doesn’t
> have to limit itself to this, IMHO carillons are mostly about music so
> whether you can see them is not so important.

Already covered under attraction=carillon.  I don't have a problem with
that,
or with similar non-visual POIs like concert halls, theatres, etc.  They're
of interest to a relatively large group of people.  People want to know
about
these things.

> I don't think we need to tag the fact that a carillon is in a church bell
> tower,
> > or how many bells it has.  We distinguish between a bell tower and a
> clock
> > tower because they are visibly very different and constitute landmarks .
> > Other than that, we don't need to know what is inside.
>
> I disagree.

Others within OSM disagree with both of us and think lots of things
that we both agree are useful have no business being represented on
a map.  I take a different view to them: if it is useful to more than a
very tiny minority of people then it can and should be mapped.  "Useful"
includes using it as a landmark for navigation or to confirm that
you really are where you think you are (so inscriptions on plaques
are useful because there could be more than one plaque in
the area where you are and the one you're stood in front may
not be the one you think it is).  "Useful" includes people wanting
to find a POI of that particular type, or finding a specific
POI.  "Useful" includes opening hours so you don't waste
time going somewhere that isn't open that day.

How many people care if a church clock escapement uses a pendulum
or is electronic?  How many people care if a church has four bells or five?
How many people care if the church bells are rung by tugging on
ropes or by a carillon?  The answer to that last question is not many,
unless it performs frequently and regularly so they could plan an
excursion to hear it.

I don't think tagging carillons in churches is important at this time.
There are still plenty of things to map that are of far more interest
to far more people.  But if somebody thinks it is really important
I won't oppose it, because "any tag you like" means there's no way
for any of us to stop it happening, the best we can hope for is to
guide the choice of tags to be sensible.  So you write a proposal
and I won't vote against it unless I think the key and/or value
you propose is flawed.  I might even vote for it.  But I think it
will be applicable to such a small number of POIs and be of
interest to such a tiny fraction of mappers and users that it's
not worth the effort.

--
Paul