On Oct 28, 2022, at 1:18 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 28 Oct 2022, at 09:58, Davidoskky via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> While I could be interested in whether the flow of a fountain might be
>> stopped or not, I'm not really interested in how I'd have to do that: I can
>> just go to the fountain and observe what I find.
>

> I couldn’t agree less. The push button fountain variant is horrible, you can
> hardly drink from it, can not wash your hands, particularly the hand that you
> use to push the button, and even filling a bottle is harder than with the
> continuous flow.
> In addition if the thing wasn’t used recently, you’ll have to wait a long
> time until the water becomes cold and can be drunken.
> Lever operated taps will provide more comfort but for drinking, tapless
> continuous flow is definitely the best.
>
> Please also reflect about what you wrote: “ I can just go to the fountain and
> observe what I find.”
> How is such a statement helpful in a tagging discussion? It can be said about
> everything, I don’t tag it because I can go there to find out. If you are not
> interested in tagging details, don’t engage in the discussion about these
> things.

I'm not usually one to scold or sound like I'm wagging my finger at naught
behavior, unless my son gets kind of lazy at practicing his viola or so (which
was many years ago) so I'm not going to do it here.  But I will say that we can
take a generous attitude towards how difficult it can be for not only all of us
to understand how vast such cultural differences are (I'm thinking a master's
thesis could be done on "the differences of what is meant by tagging fountains,
drinking and otherwise...in OSM"), but in how others don't always appreciate
these cultural differences, either.

In this "fountain, bubbler, how we drink from water-source places around the
world and tag these things in OSM," I've learned a lot, been deeply humbled at
my ignorance (and I've been to three continents on this Earth, but by no means
am I "fully world cultured," like I think most humans are not) and watch with
full bewilderment at how the semantics continue to unfold about this subject:
it is fascinating.  Let's be gentle and generous with each other and continue
to find out how much we can learn about this and continue to have a good
attitude that "if we can describe these things, and come to even a rough
agreement about them, we can tag them."  We might not get that fully correct
the first go-around, but we can be respectful (and awed and bewildered) without
being insulting or insensitive.  Thank you.

BTW, I yet again and even now newly recall a sort of "drinking fountain" (what
I call them) which has a little round push-button about the size of one's
thumb-tip, and these sorts almost always produced a disappointing jet-arc of
water that could only be described as "a dribble," so sad.  Couldn't wash hands
(easily), couldn't fill a hydration bottle (easily), likely installed to be a
drought-tolerant / water-saving way to be very frugal with water but with their
ridiculous low flow, fell below the threshold of "user-friendly" to simply "wet
one's whistle" with a drink of water.

And yes, all of the "laser-beam method to initiate flow" (implies tap=yes) and
"what about disabled access...?" kinds of information continues to contribute
to the incredible richness of this topic.  "Fountain" (bubbler, drinking
fountain, amenity=drinking_water....) are a ready-made poster-child subject for
the sometimes truly-difficult subject of tagging in a worldwide map.  The more
we keep an open mind about this, the better will become our tagging.