Steve,

I respectively I contend that it is not all abbreviations in OSM needs to be expanded, not withstanding of the general direction to expand abbreviations in OSM.  It is illogical to change the well used name of a location.

There is even a wiki page which has been around since 2010 that lists some exceptions to what should be expanded in the UK: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Invalid_Abbreviation_Expansion

On 2018-02-19 04:49 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea wrote:
I continue to assert that our (OSM's) name=* wiki states these abbreviations should be fully
expanded and that official_name=* might hold the abbreviation.  In short, "them's the
rules" in OSM:  part of why I'm pounding so hard on this is that I might get some recognition
that OSM does have rules to follow.  (Slavishly?  Well, perhaps yes, perhaps no, but please analyze
and fully understand the issues before taking exception to them).  There are good reasons for this
"no abbreviations" tenet which have to do with software parsers being able to do sane
things.

Jarek and I have exchanged opinions, though what he distilled for me from his point of view is that
"software parsing of names is fraught with problems..." and so we should/must "fix
these problems in the data."  Again, I respectfully disagree:  the data are to be full names
without abbreviations SO THAT software parsers have a consistent set of data to use.  This is at
least partly why official_name and loc_name exist.

I realize that as somebody from outside Canada, some may feel I clomp clumsily here, as I don't want to get
in the way of "how Canada does things."  However, what we are talking about is "how Canada
does things IN OSM" and about that, I am not outside the tent, I am inside of it.  I continue to respect
good dialog while realizing that all of us, as we display our passion in this forum, "wish to do the
right things."

SteveA