> On 2018-02-19 05:08 PM, Jarek Piórkowski wrote:
>> Have you passed by talk-gb? They have a fair amount of "St" names and
>> some authority as to how to do things in OSM.

I haven't, but I shall.  As I say quite a bit (in our wiki, e.g.
California/Railroads), "it's complicated around here."  THEN, there is what we
do about that in OSM.  (Our best).

On Feb 19, 2018, at 3:33 PM, Stewart C. Russell <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The UK has Bury St Edmunds, Chapel St Leonards, Lytham St Annes, Ottery
> St Mary, St Andrews, St Anne, St Austell, St Blazey, St Columb Major, St
> Helens, St Ives, St Monans and St Neots all as town names in OSM. The
> only two "Saint .*" towns in the whole British Isles' OSM are Saint
> Helier and Saint Peter Port, both in the Channel Islands. Both have
> French influences. And just to thumb its nose at us, nearby Alderney has
> the town of "St Anne". So I don't think they can be a great example.

I do not mean to appear to be "the pot calling the kettle black" (even as I
sheepishly may).  OSM learns by example, by documenting how we should tag
(prescriptive) and how we do tag (descriptive), — this isn't always clear or
spelled out — by research such as you've done and by good dialog like here.

> Near "St. Louis" (Missouri - abbreviated that way in OSM), OSM has the
> towns of "Saint Clair" and "Saint James". In the same area, there's St.
> Charles, St. Peters and East St. Louis (IL). In the St. Louis metro
> area, there are roughly 4500 ways named "St\. Louis.*" and roughly 3500
> ways named "St Louis.*". There are also roughly 3500 ways named "Saint .*"
>
> So this is not a standard well kept.

And we make our point:  OSM doesn't always follow its own rules.  Crowdsourcing
can be messy, yet we try to improve day by day.  Thanks to all for getting here!

SteveA