I've never used it, so I don't have any practical help to offer. but there's a specific outline process in Word with styles and such. Here's a link to a Microsoft tutorial on it that I found with a quick search.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-an-outline-from-scratch-87e44e0d-ecba-4ec1-b1c9-b9fa46a230fc
Hth,
Tom