B J wrote in part:

"When we bought a copy of Office that copy lasted and will last for years.
I'm still using a 2007 copy of office on my windows 7 machine. If I had paid
a monthly subscription for that length of time. I could have bought at least
8 copied of office."

I'm in your boat, brother!  I won't ever purchase any app that's
subscription based even if the cost is 50 cents a year!  Sounds horrible but
I can live with it.  Like B J, I have been using Office 2007; even though I
received a note from Microsoft that support for Office 2007 has ended, it is
still serving me well and I am yet to find a need for an upgrade to the
latest Office bell and whistle.  I read about folks struggling with
something called Back Stage and how to disable it.  Yikes, make an app
better if necessary, just don't make it too complicated in order to get this
done.

I'm interested in knowing whether or not the laws in the books can be
invoked when it comes to dealing with adaptive app and equipment companies.
Look at Humanware; it created the BrailleNote Touch and deployed a
deprecated copy of the Android OS on it; it still sells for more than
$5,000!  How about HIMS?  It claims to run on Android 5.1.1 which will soon
become deprecated as well.  And it sells for $6,000!  In both situations, no
path for an upgrade and, worst still, the freedom Android offers is
nonexistent.  Example:  In Android Land, you can install and use your own
preferred TTS engine.  What nonsense if I dare say so!

For as long as is possible, I shall continue to look at products in the
mainstream.  As I slowly KISS WINDOWS goodbye, I won't have to worry about
the shenanigans of screen reader developers for this OS!  I will not pay one
cent for any type of Jaws subscription.  Until my WINDOWS machines all die
naturally, I'll STICK WITH WINDOW-EYES which still PUTS SOME GREAT FOOD on
my wee, small table!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado