When I saw Christian's message about "Trying to make an "anti-spam
filter" in The Bat! ", I just had to make these comments:

CD> I have been playing around with the possibility to make a filter in
CD> The Bat! that actually gets rid of most spam.

CD> My approach has been to make a filter that moves all mail that isn't
CD> specifically addressed to me to a "Suspected Spam" folder.

Yes, this is my approach as well. I also create filters (placed before
this BCC messages filter) that will catch legitimate mail that is BCC'd
rather than addressed directly to me. Most discussion list messages,
newsletters and such are not addressed directly to me.

CD> The problem is however that BCC'ed mail ends in this spam folder
CD> since I wouldn't be in the recipients list.

You need to systematically create filters for legitimate mail that is
BCC'd to you. It will never be thorough so you need to have the spam
folder. After a while it will become very thorough indeed. :-)

CD> I also make exceptions for mailing lists I am signed up for, and
CD> finally add some expressions to filter on like "ADV" "AD" "$$$" etc.

I haven't even found it necessary to create a filter on key words as you
gave above.

CD> I have also looked at anti spam software, but most of it require
CD> that the software check mail on the server before The Bat! can
CD> import the mail which complicates matters too much

Exactly. I'd need a cable modem or DSL to use a system like that. :-/

CD> I am quite sure now this BCC problem will be a trade-off when
CD> implementing aggressive filtering like this, but I would like to ask
CD> anyway if someone successfully has created effective anti spam
CD> filtering in The Bat!?

With your system well setup as I have done, 99% of spam will reach the
spam folder and it will be very unusual for legitimate mail to reach it.

- --
A. Curtis Martin  |  Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey
"Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever. "
TB! v1.48 Beta/4 (S/N CCA4F9B8)
Windows NT 5.00.2195 (Service Pack 1)