On Friday, November 10, 2000, 7:28:52 AM, Christian wrote:

>   My approach has been to make a filter that moves all mail that
>   isn't specifically addressed to me to a "Suspected Spam" folder.
>   The problem is however that BCC'ed mail ends in this spam folder
>   since I wouldn't be in the recipients list.

So you want to separate "legitimately" BCC'ed mail from spam? I'm
afraid there's no way to do that, since BCC is the trick many
spammers use.

As Curtis suggests, you should build a list of filters ABOVE the
"suspected spam" filter to catch as many legitimate messages as
possible. Then there's a trick to help you better manage the spam
folder:

1. Create two groups in your AB: one for "spammers", the other
"friends".

2. Create two manual filters to be invoked by hotkeys, each of which
would add the senders of selected messages to the "spammers" group
and "friends" group respectively.

3. Browse through your "Suspected Spam" folder, add the senders of
those BCC'ed to you from legitimate sources to the "friends" group
in AB. Likewise, put those real spammers in the "spammers" group.

4. Create two additional filters right above the "suspected spam"
filter: one to send messages from those "true spammers" to trash (or
delete them outright), the other to keep messages from "friends" in
the Inbox or another folder. (In case you don't know how to do this,
check the "Advanced" tab in the Sorting Office.) By doing this a few
rounds, the "Suspected Spam" folder should get fewer and fewer mail.

Spammers change email addresses frequently, so it's up to you to
decide whether it's worth the effort and adjust your strategy
accordingly. Personally, I don't use any spam filter, for I've got
very few so far. :)

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.48 Beta/4 | Win2k SP1