Hello Dave,

Wednesday, September 10, 2003, 7:49:12 AM, you wrote:
DK> The Internet is becoming to be treated in the same manner as
DK> automobiles. I.e. "I just want it to work and don't care how it
DK> works."

*Exactly*!!!!!! and Exactly why this is a Bad Thing (tm). When I drive
my car, and if I run over someone, I am personally held liable for my
actions in court. If I use my computer and it becomes infected with a
virus because I like to open every attachment (because somebody said
they love me), which in turn sends nasty little virus laden e-mails to
everyone in my address book, I'm not held accountable except by maybe
one of my recipients.

We as techies have the unfortunate burden of trying to educate the
masses on what is good and bad, and until the day comes where a user
can be held liable for their mis-actions on a machine, everyone
suffers. See:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/961943.asp?0dm=C14MT&cp1=1

and

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A25845-2003Sep4?language=printer

I've cross-posted this to TBOT so we can continue, it's definitely
becoming a dead horse on TBUDL..

Thanks.

--
Leif (TB list moderator and fellow end user).

Using The Bat! 2.00 under Windows 2000 5.0
Build 2195 Service Pack 3 on a Pentium 4 2GHz with 512MB