Hallo Plan9,

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:21:27 -0400GMT (14-7-2004, 18:21 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

P> I too like to see two spaces after a period ends a sentence for the
P> reasons stated above.  I suspect that the conversion from two spaces to
P> one occurs when text editors with too little decision intelligence
P> programmed into them try to be word processors.

I'm not really in favour of typing two spaces after a period. (What's
the difference between a period and a dot?) Just because some schools
in the states taught that, doesn't mean it was general accepted
practice.
Even I am old enough to have learned typing before the computer age. I
was taught to type one space after any kind of punctuation. Maybe
that's Dutch or European. I don't know.
I also was taught to start a new paragraph with four spaces. One of
the other things those poor people tried to hammer in me was that when
writing a letter to the states (I guess that should be capitalized)I
should place the address on the wrong side of the letter.

All of those conventions should not be optional. Just forget about
them, just remember that when they're making one option, they should
implement the others too. You'd get check boxes for one space, after a
period, two spaces, three. One space after a comma, two spaces. And of
of those other conventions.
So please no options. The make the reformatting more prone to bugs and
keep the folks at RitLabs from doing useful work. That's my two cents.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

Disclaimer: Any opinion stated in this message is not necessarily shared by my budgies
or rabbits.