Hi, everyone.

On Sunday, March 30, 2008, 4:53:35 PM, Thomas  wrote:

DH>>> Synchronisation is a three step process and so you don't want to be doing
this on a
DH>>> daily basis.

A>> Is it really that involved?

TF> This is how I have been synchronising for years:

TF> Each outgoing mail is BCC'ed to myself. This way, not only the
TF> incoming but also the outgoing mails are on each computer on which I
TF> check them.

TF> TB! is on each computer is set to leave messages on the server, albeit
TF> it is possible to set one computer to a number of days ...

TF> IMAP or webmail are no option for me due to unreliable and somewhat
TF> slow internet connections. ...

After thinking through, further, about how I want to use the laptop and
desktop, it makes most sense to me to have mail on BOTH machines so that when I
travel with the laptop, I am not confined to just whatever mail happens to be
on the server.  It also makes sense that I not use IMAP for several reasons:
difficulties reported by some people, a friend who owns a computer
repair/consulting business recommends against it, and I have found that the
server-based e-mail system we use at the office (where we have T3 lines!!!) is
often painfully slow.

That brings us to the question of synchronization.  Although The Bat offers a
synchronization feature; after reading about this in the Help Topics, I assume
that the feature only works if I have The Bat set up in IMAP, rather than POP3.
 Is this correct?

If that is so, then, if I want to be able to download messages on the laptop as
well as the desktop in a POP3 environment, I would have to be willing to live
with not being able to see on one computer, what messages were read or not read
on the other.  Is that correct?

Alternatively, could I set up The Bat on the laptop, but have it point to the
mail directory on the desktop where the messages are kept, and merely copy that
directory to my laptop when I travel with it, which is only a few times a year?

If the answer to this is "yes," how do I make an installation of The Bat on the
laptop point to the mail directory on the desktop?

Would this, then, obviate the need to blind BCC myself on every message sent
from the laptop?

And, if I do that, will downloads initiated from the laptop place mail in the
mail directory on the desktop so long as I have the laptop's installation of
The Bat point to the Mail folder located on the desktop?

--

Avi
Avram Sacks