Hello Rick,

>> Fellow list members,

>> Having recently accidentally violated the email etiquette rule about
>> putting multiple addresses in the TO field, I got to wondering... Does
>> TB have any method (setting) which would warn the sender that he/she
>> is about to send a message where all recipients would be able to see
>> all addresses to whom the message was sent? Something like the warning
>> you get when you forget to put something in the SUBJECT field perhaps?
>> I looked in OPTIONS/PREFERENCES/OTHER OPTIONS/CONFIRMATIONS where I
>> found the one about empty subject field, but nothing about multiple
>> addresses in the TO field. A later version of TB maybe?

R> I'm not sure that IS etiquette. I worked in an IBM facility and it was
R> common practice to send something TO: two or three primaries and CC:
R> several others.

R> I know what you're saying; If someone else needs to read this email I
R> should use the CC line. I'm not really sure it rates a warning
R> message.

Thanks to Rick and Roelof for replying.

Actually, I was taught that whenever sending a message to multiple
recipients who may or may not know each other, it is considered
prudent NOT to include everyone in the TO field. Some people desire
to keep their email address confidential for their own reasons. I can
see however where in a business environment it may be acceptable, even
necessary perhaps to have all recipients contained in the TO field.
Although in retrospect, I wonder why even that would be necessary as
the original post, now saved in the SENT mail folder, would be
available as proof that all necessary recipients were included.

In a non-business environment, my understanding of the accepted method
is to address the message to YOURSELF and place everyone else's
address in the BCC (blind carbon copy) field. That way, each recipient
sees the message addressed to them and the other addresses are not
visible.

As mentioned in the original post, I accidently sent a message to
family and friends and without realizing it, placed all addresses in
the TO field. So easy to do from the AB. As a consequence, my daughter
is now receiving messages from her cousin with whom she may or may not wish
to maintain correspondence. No biggie, but I wish TB would keep a
closer eye on me.

--
Jack LaRosa
mailto:jlar...@charter.net

Sticking with with The Bat! ver: 3.99.3 for now.
Operating? with Windows XP Pro ver 5 build 2600 Service Pack 3