Hello Jack,

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:34:36 -0500 GMT (19/Mar/09, 22:34 +0700 GMT),
Jack S. LaRosa wrote:

JSL> Actually, I was taught that whenever sending a message to multiple
JSL> recipients who may or may not know each other, it is considered
JSL> prudent NOT to include everyone in the TO field. Some people desire
JSL> to keep their email address confidential for their own reasons.

Yes, especially when you are forwarding these funny jokes. My reply
usually is: Please use BCC and don't publish my email address to
everybody I don't know. I receive enough spam as it is.

JSL> I can see however where in a business environment it may be
JSL> acceptable, even necessary perhaps to have all recipients
JSL> contained in the TO field.

No. In a business environment, you will have one recipeint in the TO
field, and he is responsible for replying. The other are copied in CC.
Otherwise, everybody thinks that the other one will reply, and in the
end, you will not get any reply at all.

JSL> Although in retrospect, I wonder why even that would be necessary
JSL> as the original post, now saved in the SENT mail folder, would be
JSL> available as proof that all necessary recipients were included.

It's not about proving you sent the request. It is about receiving a
reply. Communication, the ugly word.

JSL> In a non-business environment, my understanding of the accepted
JSL> method is to address the message to YOURSELF and place everyone
JSL> else's address in the BCC (blind carbon copy) field. That way,
JSL> each recipient sees the message addressed to them and the other
JSL> addresses are not visible.

Yes, especially for circulars. They are easier to ignore this way. It
is much more difficult with personal emails.

JSL> As mentioned in the original post, I accidently sent a message to
JSL> family and friends and without realizing it, placed all addresses
JSL> in the TO field. So easy to do from the AB. As a consequence, my
JSL> daughter is now receiving messages from her cousin with whom she
JSL> may or may not wish to maintain correspondence. No biggie, but I
JSL> wish TB would keep a closer eye on me.

Sorry, TB! can't know that. I am sorry to hear that your daughter and
her cousin are now in touch. I am sorry, but what again is the
problem? ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.