Uh-oh! Divergence alert! Divergence alert!

I absolutely hate the "docs as sales tool" model. :-)

Seriously. As much as it can be nice to slam that tome down and show
some meat for their dollar, there's a flip side to that model. "Holy
crap, this product must be complex!"

A better sales tool is to set up the product and have the client try
it out - no explanation, no docs immediately given to them. If they
can approach it, understand it, and begin to use it without
explanation, THAT is a sell. And, you (collective you for your
company) have done your jobs right.

There will always be a need for supplying information with a product
in some manner, but I prefer the approach: "If we do our jobs right,
it will look like we've done nothing at all."

People buy tech products to solve problems (even entertainment
products). A solution that comes with more problems (train people to
use it, remember procedures, maintain and update the solution, change
your routine or environment to fit the solution) is not an ideal
solution. No one wants that. We take this as normal because it's
common, but it certainly doesn't mean it's correct.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.

DITA West 2007--Use a discount code of "TECHCOMMPROS" to get a discount rate of
$200 off the $800 price if you register before close of business January 15,
2007. http://www.travelthepath.com/conf/dita2007.shtml