On 8/3/2016 7:06 PM, Justin Davis wrote:
> Our connections all increased on average by 4 db and we have seen some
> increase as much as 9 db shooting through thick pine tree forests at
> about 3 miles.  We have 10 ENB's online servicing around 400 UE's and
> have not seen a single issue.  We also have 2 centralized EPC's
> serving two counties and have never had one of them crash. I would
> check your configs.  All of our EPC's have a minimum of 1.5 Gbps of
> bandwidth available with one that has a 10 Gbps uplink.  All tower
> locations are fed with 2+0 licensed backhauls.  I would recommend
> Telrad in a heart beat over all of the other crap out there.  We are
> completely dumping Ubiquiti and using Cambium where we can and
> everything else Telrad!

Cambium works.  Better than LTE, right now.

Telrad doesn't.  We have well over 1000 UEs on Telrad at this point and
some base stations over 50 connections.  Not only do our EPCs crash but
they also reboot on their own.  Telrad says they have found the issue
and it is due to Layer2 issues which they will fix - but I am not
holding my breath, we have  had troubles with them from day 1 and the
redundancy they sold us on does not work.

I don't know why you'd assume I/we are just dumb newbies at this, we
have been at wireless since 2004 and at Internet in general since 1993,
which makes me a pioneer in the industry.  Not only have we been over
the configs (simplicity is best), but Telrad's engineers including Nick
and Guy have been over them.  The issue is not a misconfiguration, the
issue is - and has been time and time again - software bugs.

Good for you that you can do big licensed backhauls, here in Canada we
are paying through the nose for licenses.  Our biggest backhaul is
costing us around $50K a year just for licensing.  Industry Canada has
made it very prohibitive to use licensed backhauls, if we could it would
be the only thing we'd use.  As it is, we have to use them only on our
main distribution towers.

While I'm complaining I might as well also say that we have had a fairly
huge percentage (double digits) of UEs that do not work right out of the
box.  One imagines that the RMA costs are massive.  We've also had to do
a number of truck rolls when a WiMax unit fails to swap over to LTE
because the card, the UE or the UE card reader failed.

In 13 years of using Cambium & Motorola gear I think we had to call tech
support about three times... and RMA maybe 20 units, total...