Hi Julian,

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 11:43:27 PM UTC+2, Julian Kniephoff wrote:

> Just out of curiosity: On this
> <http://tiddlywiki.com/static/PluginMechanism.html> page about TiddlyWiki
> plugins I read the following:
>
> Plugins that define macros, views or other named entities are expected to
>> prefix the name with their publisher identifier, for example:
>>  tiddlytools.slider.
>>

> However, I have yet to see a plugin follow this guideline. Is this still
> enforced/encouraged?

It's encouraged for your plugins as in:
$:/plugins/juliankniephoff/frobnicator  ... I personally would shorten the
author section somehow, to have more characters for the plugins, without
everything being too long.

> ... should these be called $juliankniephoff.frobnicate,
> juliankniephoff.frob and juliankniephoff.frobnicated respectively?

IMO nobody would like this. So for me it's still a "first come / first
serve" for widget and macro names. ... BUT ... If you have a nice and short
prefix for your calls, it may help in the future. .. I'm thinking about 2
to 3 chars max.

The problem for me is, that getting the names right needs some iterations.
So you can go with an
 - alpha version number eg: 0.0.1 first ... So everyone should be OK with
name changes. ...
 - Second step beta eg: 0.1.0 ..
 - And if you think you don't change names anymore V 1.0.0.

see: semver <http://semver.org/>.org, which TW tries to use :)

> (Of course none of this means anything. I'm just curious about the
> convention.)

Good catch, and nice that you think about naming conventions :)

-mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/7fd12d83-b441-497e-9359-33864d018922%40googlegroups.com.