Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

On 2016-10-12 12:34, Nicholas Marriott wrote:
> People don't know when they've built from Git and when they haven't?
> I don't think this is a real problem.

It only works for people who build it themselves. But since there is
only 1 realease every year, a lot of port systems (I maintain the
MacPorts tmux port) introduced git releases at a certain level (not git
master), and these dev releases are more frequent than the releases.

So yes, if you compile it yourself, you know that it was some commit
point after the 2.3 release, butthis is all you know. How would you do a
bisect, if you even don't know the build number?

You want debug symbols but don't care when a problem occured (at which
commit point)?

> People are credited in the commit message if they send a patch and I
> know their name (that is, I have a real name to credit and not an
> account name or alias).

Well, it's the author's choice to use an alias or their real name, but
git does use an author field for a reason. Author and commiter do not
have to be the same person. Git can also make use of signed-off-by tags.

In any case, the way development is handled is very untypical to any
project I've ever seen. That's why I'm so puzzled by it.

Cheers,
 K. C.

--
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek