Jon Stevens wrote:

> > It should be noted that when this plan comes up for a vote, a +1
> > by a committer will constitute a commitment not only to helping
> > with the release, but to provide maintenance support beyond the
> > release.
>
> I'm not sure that I agree with this. What if I want to state my
> approval, but don't want to help out?

The consensus seems to be that in the context of a release vote, a "+0"
means I agree but may not contribute, and "+1" means I agree and will help.

It looks like Larry is trying to keep up with the latest proposal on the
jakarta mailing list, as maintained by Ted Husted.  Ted originally tried to
make a case for a separate set of indicators for approval and committed to
make it happen (his specific proposal was a "binding" suffix), but that was
voted down in favor of the simpler -1/-0/+0/+1 scheme.

Even though Ted's overall proposal hasn't been ratified, this particular
provision makes sense to me as there was much concern expressed over the
lack of support for previous releases.

- Sam Ruby