Larry Isaacs wrote:

> [...]

(This really belongs back on GENERAL because it's cross-subproject, but I will
throw my $0.02 here).

IMHO, having people vote +0 instead of +1 if they like the idea but don't have
time to support it is *precisely* what you want.  Otherwise, you can get into a
scenario of a ton of +1s that say "great idea, as long as someone else does all
the work", and where does that leave you?

I would want to know that ahead of time, before I started setting user
expectations that something was going to be completed soon, on the theory that
all those +1-ers were going to pitch in and help.

If a release plan gets two +1s, twenty +0s, and one -1 (all from committers,
because they are the only votes that count), should the release plan *really*
move forward?  I would suggest not ... the two +1 folks are not going to be able
to accomplish all the work.

If a release plan gets twenty +1s, two +0s, and one -1 (all from committers
again), but the +1s don't really mean "I will help make this happen", where does
that leave you?  I took over as RM in a scenario almost that bad, and the
required work doesn't get done, or is not completed in a timely manner.

The common cliche is "put your money where your mouth is".  For voting on
release plans, I think the appropriate cliche is "put your effort where your +1
is".

> Perhaps the vote should include voting for plan approval and a
> separate indication of willingness to do maintenance?
>

> Cheers,
> Larry

Craig