Costin Manolache wrote:
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

One last point, we should be able to experiment around here. The negative
votes have been based on biases about what I think about Jasper and my
opinions.

They are not based on the idea that experimentation is a good
thing and I think that is just plain wrong and very closed minded. Who are
you to decide what our users may or may not like? In the end, if things
don't work out, then fine at least we learned something and we can move on
to the next thing.

No Jon - my vote wasn't based on your biasses about jasper, but on the biasses of many members of the tomcat community.
5.0 was supposed to be the release we make togheter, as a united community based on consensus.
There is one jakarta project where "experimentation" without consensus
was the operating mode - and I certainly don't like the result. You may
remember about the division of the tomcat community on 3.3/4.0 - and
I don't think 69K of code ( jasper runtime ) would justify another division.

What do we really have to loose here?

Consensus.
People cannot agree on everything. Here, we're talking about relatively minor topics.
This issue won't end up in a division of the community, but rather in one additional binary distribution based on the same codebase. I can live with that (well, as long as I'm not the one building them all ;-) ).

If the lack of consensus spreads to more serious topics (like a 4.2.x branch), then I would agree it could be worrying.

Remy