[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> DAVEH:  I find the below a bit curious, Judy.  First, let me reflect
> upon your comment, "This is most definitely not the Jesus I serve...".
> I guess I am missing something.....where did Karen mention anything
> about Jesus?
>
> Judy:
> Isn't your Church called "The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day
> Saints?"

DAVEH:  That is correct.  However, the article did not refer to the official name of
the Church, nor did it ever refer to Jesus.  So I was curious why you made that
particular statement.

> DaveH:
> Next, while I'm not intimately familiar with Masonic rituals, the
> comment "The ceremonies, word for word, were exactly the same
> as the Masonic rituals." is not at all true.
>
> Judy:
> I don't know how she knows about Masonic rituals but there are books
> and I've heard this before also. Joseph Smith is said to have gone thru
> the whole 33 degrees of the York Rite in one day

DAVEH:  Wow......he must have been a fast learner!  This is just typical of more rumor
and innuendo that folks want to believe to be true.

> and he incorporated
> these rituals into his new religion. How do you know this is not true if
> you are not familiar with them?

DAVEH:  I know enough to know that her comment was not factual.

> DaveH:
> And, as Blaine explained.....The Church simply would not have said
> that she "must do as he said, and that I could not divorce him".
>
> Judy:
> Maybe 'the Church' whoever that is would not have said it but how can
> you be sure that the leader of their Stake in Fairbanks Alaska did not
> say it?

DAVEH:  There are certainly LDS folks who have made some dumb comments that are not in
keeping with Church doctrines and practices.  However, there is so much suspect with
her story that I have a hard time believing any part of it.  I simply believe her
story is a total fabrication.

> DaveH:
> Furthermore, the comment "My husband ran off with an underage
> hooker one month after we returned from the temple, and informed
> me that I must remain married to him, because he wanted to be
> able to "get some" from me any time he was bored with the hooker. "
> just seems a little too patently silly.
>
> Judy:
> To you and me maybe but there is worse than that out there...

DAVEH:  Like I said above.......any give comment she made above is possible, though
unlikely.  Put them all together and I hear a tall story meant to influence folks who
want to let their imagination outrun their common sense.

> DaveH:
> Also......Karen said "the ritual where I was told that my husband
> would have to 'bring me into heaven' - I could not get there by myself,
> no matter how good I was" doesn't sound anything like what I've heard,
> either in or out of the Temple.
>
> Judy:
> Really?? I've never been to the temple but I have heard that this is the
> reason that marriages are sealed in SLC - because women need to be
> sealed to a man to get to heaven.  Are you saying this is not so?

DAVEH:  I'm telling you what I believe based on my knowledge of LDS theology.  There
are a lot of women who never even marry in this life who will find themselves in
heaven someday.  While there is a lot of emphasis on sealed families entering heaven, I
personally do not believe that those who do not do such while in this life will
necessarily be disallowed entrance to heaven.

    Maybe Blaine thinks differently.....any comments Blaine???

> DaveH:
>     So Judy......In my opinion, Karen's 'testimony' is a bit too
> contrived to be believed by anyone except those who are gullible.
>
> Judy:
> Well then I guess I must be gullible because I am not ready to call her
> an out and out liar.

DAVEH:  I understand.  I am often reluctant to judge others too.  However, when
something like that is said that is impossible to verify, and when all that is said
sounds fishy, I'm a little reluctant to accept it....especially when it is presented by
someone with an ax to grind.

>  Her experience didn't sound so off the wall to me,

DAVEH:  Hmmmmmm......We both have out biases, don't we Judy.  The difference is that
due to my bias, I am quite familiar with what she was trying to convey, but failed to
accurately do so.  As a Mormon, I could have written that script to be much more
believable so that anybody thinking critically could not have discerned that it was
bogus.  To find an actual ex-LDS to write a script like that would be virtually
impossible, IMO.

    Your bias on the other hand is to find any fault you can with my belief.  It
really doesn't matter whether the material you find is accurate or not....if it
denigrates that which you perceive to be evil, you willingly embrace it with enthusiasm
because it validates your belief at the expense of mine.   I understand that, but I'm
not sure you do.  Even after I point out the problems with the material, you
apparently pretty much disbelieve my comments.

--
Dave Hansen