But lighting a cross on the lawn of a white family is still pretty bad,
even if it doesn't carry the weight of lighting the cross on the lawn of a
black family.
The Ku Klux Klan tried to scared migrant coal miners in western
Pennsylvania in the period immediately after World War I. They burned a
cross in my father's town.. He and his older brother, who were maybe not
teens yet, took a pickle barrel ring and mounted it on a pole, doused it
with gas and lit it on the hillside. The community braced as they thought
the Slavs were fighting back.