Yes, length is considered (I think 24 characters is a number I've
heard somewhere). Also, I've heard Al3x say that URL "format" is also
considered.  I'm not exactly sure what that entails, but I would guess
that some query string characters would make it a candidate for
shortening.

The best bet is to do the shortening yourself, or create some sort of
"friendly" format to avoid shortening.

It would be nice to have some official formatting rules exposed... I'm
pretty sure it's not a trade secret :)

-Chad