yes, twitter is after all a text based service.
anyway, adding html to a tweet opens up a can of worms.
it wont happen.  it shouldnt happen.

yes, twtr could provide, via the web UI at least, a way to add
metadata to a tweet that is extra (not the text message itself, but
associated data that can be exposed on certain UIs.  but thats a
different topic and i'd like to improve the current issue of short
urling.

also of interest - http://twitterdata.org