On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Bjoern <bjoer...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 4:27 pm, Nick Arnett <nick.arn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:
> >
> > > But I believe bit.ly returns different, unique URLs for logged-in
> users
> >
> > That is an option, but in my experience, it is relatively rare.
>
> If you want to create a bitly url via the API, you have to be logged
> in. Therefore I assume "twitter" logs in to bit.ly to create the URLs.
> Therefore I would expect all bit.ly URLs that Twitter generates to be
> specific to Twitter. If you shorten a URL via some other account (you
> always have to login for the bit.ly API), it would result in a
> different URL. If Twitter could generate the "standard URL", it would
> be a big step.

Hmmm... just tried a few and sure enough, the bit.ly URLs generated by
Twitter seem to be unique to Twitter, although consistent. Apparently
Twitter has enabled bit.ly URL tracking. There's a horrible solution to
that, too... tweet the original URL and then read back the status to get the
Twitter-specific bit.ly URL.  Ugh.

Nick